20th Century Fashion History at Worthing Museum. The start date is Saturday 28th September. The course will run for 10 weeks with a half-term break. It will be possible to sign up for all 10 weeks or to book individual weeks depending on decades of interest.
Each week we start at 10.30am and finish at 12.30pm with a break half way through for tea and biscuits. The exception is the week we have a behind the scenes tour - one of the highlights of the course will be a behind the scenes tour with curator Gerry Connolly who will show some of the stars of the collection dating back to the 17th century. Depending on numbers we will probably run two tours, each lasts approx one hour. One group will go with Gerry, another will stay with me for the talk for that week and then we will swap over. The date for the tour tbc
To book a place online click here http://www.worthingmuseum.co.uk/contactus/
or phone Worthing Museum tel:01903 221448 (Tuesday to Saturday)
The course makes use of garments and objects held in the museum's collection and it gives an opportunity to get up close and even look inside (white gloves are provided for handling). We will also have the chance to see amateur films from Screen Archive South East which is a great way to see how clothes moved on bodies and what accessories were worn. screen-archive-films
Those with an interest in fashion history, and those new to the subject can meet and bring in family photos and objects from their own collections to share. It's a friendly and inclusive place, all are welcome, and don't forget we even provide tea and biscuits!
1.Sat 28th Sept - 1900-1910: Elegant Edwardians. Course introduction.
2.Sat 5th Oct - 1910-1920: Troublesome teens. Hardship & Luxury - From everyday wear to Poiret, Fortuny and Lucille.
3. Sat 12th Oct -1920-30: Terrific twenties. Introducing Channel and Vionnet
4. Sat 19th Oct - 1920-1930: .Glamorous Thirties. Art and Schiaparelli. British Romance and Hollywood Glamour
5. Sat 26th Oct -1940-1950: From WW2 to the New Look.
Sat 2nd Nov - half term break
6. Sat 9th Nov -1950-1960: Fabulous Fifties. Balenciaga, beautiful dresses, teddy boys & girls.
7. Sat 16th Nov - 1960-1970: Swinging Sixties. Mary Quant, minis & Maxis.
8. Sat 23rd Nov - 1970-1980: Spangled Seventies. Biba, Ossie Clark & Disco styles.
9. Sat 30th Nov -1980-1990: Eclectic Eighties. New Fashion capitals, Westwood Miyake & much more.
10. Sat 7th Dec - 1990- past, present & future. Street culture, celebrity culture.