Sunday, 25 July 2010

my MA dissertation


My current research topic is Edwardian blouses and I am writing up my 20,000 word dissertation which has to be completed by September 24th 2010. I began this study by examining a collection of blouses at The Museum of London. I measured, photographed and recorded as many details as possible. I then started to collect social histories of the period and found some excellent resources at the TUC archive at London Metropolitan University. I looked in women's journals, read dress histories and a selection of theoretical debates before finding my focus. I decided the most important issues were firstly the origins of blouses, followed by blouses situated within discourses of Edwardian fashion and femininity. I have also focused on methods of production and modes of cross-class consumption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment